Thursday, October 4, 2007

LocalNews Blog- Rescuers

'Tragedy Stunned Rescuers'
From the Denver Post
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_7074600


The title of this article is what caught my attenion as I scrolled through, trying to find what I found most interesting in Denver Post's local news articles. This article highlighted on the story of the five maintenance workers found dead in Cabin Creek last Tuesday and the affect it had on the Henderson rescue team. As i read this article, what amazed me over and over again was how incredibly brave all those mine rescuers were and how severly determined they were about saving these miner's lives.

"'I am proud of the guys. The professionalism. I mean they were going into an atmosphere where five men had died. We didn't know those guys were dead. But there was no doubt in anybody's mind that they were going into a life-threatening situation,' Arnold said. "

Part of my appreciation for these rescuers comes from the fact that I would never be able to what they do. The feeling of saving somebodys life must be indescribable, but I would never in a million years be able to handle the grief and over powering sadness of witnessing death(s). I don't think that I would ever be able to go through my life the same. But perhaps that is their motivation; They are afraid of what will happen if they don't save those people's lives. I believe that whatever these people witness, whether it's good or bad, makes a dramatic effect on the next rescue mission they perform. If they saved lives before, they want to continue with that performance. But if they didn't get to save lives, they work that much harder to make sure they do the next time. They put everybodys lives before their own. I just find that to be an amazing blessing to our community, our country, and to our world.

I would like to thank all the men and women that work so hard to take care and protect our community. What would we do without our fire-fighters? Our police forces? Our doctors? And mine rescuers, such as the Henderson team? We would be a mess. These people are our lights in the dark. They give us hope and continuously revive it with all that they do.

"'You just try to figure out what's going on, where are the guys, how did they get there. You are just trying to get your sea legs,' Arnold said. "

No comments: