Thursday, November 8, 2007

Run, Forrest, run!

Arapahoe County Girl Eludes Possible Kidnapper
From the Denver Post
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_7395520



This article talked about a 13 year-old girl, living in Arapahoe County, who escaped a man who grabbed her arm while she was walking home from school. The man pulled up next to her in his white car and told her to get in. The girl refused and he jumped out of his car and grabbed her by the arm. Luckily she tugged free and was able to run home. I’m putting my mind in this situation and I’m thinking about what I would do if something like this happened to me. Would I be prepared? Would I have a plan? I’m not sure how I would mentally react to the situation. Would I freeze up, or would I do as this girl did? Now broadening my mind, I wonder this: Is there a certain way or act people in general can do if something like this ever happened to them? Common sense tells us, “Get as far away from them as you can”, or even, “Don’t do things that could get you into situations like this”. But there is such a thing as being at the wrong place at the wrong time. So back to my question....And the answer is: Yes! After I read this, I wanted to answer my own question and I found out that self defense classes are available at many police departments, schools, (mostly colleges), and even some karate schools will open up to the public and offer a self defense class. When I found this out, I was very relieved. I think that it’s very important to know self defense because people need to know what to do in life threatening situations like these. Especially today because we hear so much about this on the news all the time.
I don’t know of any high schools that offer a self defense class, and I think that its about time they begin to show up. In elementary school and middle school, they teach us to either run, or make as much noise as possible. But in high school, we’re older and need to be able to fight back an attacker. I hope that people in our community and around the country take the time to go to a self defense class because you never know when you might need it.


"Remember to S-I-N-G!"
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments: